Arizona’s Department of Public Safety announced strict DUI enforcement this month to deter holiday partygoers from getting behind the wheel after celebrating. The Arizona Republic reports that state and local authorities will be conducting saturation patrols in DUI hotspots throughout the valley. In the east valley, officers will concentrate on the following locations from 6 p.m. to 4 a.m.:
- Dec. 4: 7601 E. McKellips Road, Scottsdale.
- Dec. 5: 2330 W. Rio Salado Pkwy., Mesa.
- Dec. 11: 955 S. Mill Ave., Tempe.
- Dec. 12: 2802 E. Devonshire, Phoenix.
- Dec. 17: 2802 E. Devonshire, Phoenix.
- Dec. 18: 2330 W. Rio Salado Pkwy., Mesa.
- Dec. 19: 75 E. Civic Center Drive, Gilbert.
- Dec. 22: 7601 E. McKellips Road, Scottsdale.
- Dec. 23: 1875 S. Alma School Road, Chandler.
- Dec. 26: 1340 E. University Drive, Tempe.
- Dec. 28: 7555 N. Pima Road, Scottsdale.
- Dec. 29: 75 E. Civic Center Drive, Gilbert.
- Dec. 30: 1875 S. Alma School Road, Chandler.
- Dec. 31: 1340 E. University Drive, Tempe.
The legal consequences of being hit by a drunk driver are similar to any accident. While their intoxication might make assigning liability easier, ultimately your treatment will have to be paid for by their insurance, yours, or out of pocket.
If your medical bills are $50,000 and they carry the minimum $15,000 liability coverage, their intoxication doesn’t make that difference go away. This is a prime example of the benefits of carrying your own uninsured/underinsured coverage. We’re taught to use defensive driving techniques to avoid accidents; this is one step you can take to protect yourself and your family before hitting the road.
If you are in the unfortunate situation of the responsible driver’s insurance not covering the full cost of treatment and you don’t have underinsured coverage, there are a few possible solutions. You could try and negotiate a lower rate from your doctor. You can also search your insurance policy for any good faith measures they may be required to take to help you get treatment. An experienced attorney may be able to make these attempts with more success and less hassle to you.
At Vrana Law Firm we pursue these and other avenues to help you get proper treatment. If you or someone you know is in a similar situation, we are happy to provide a free consultation. They can meet with an attorney and explore their options.